Saturday, April 29, 1-4 p.m. | Free fun for all ages!
Our second annual How-To Expo will be a celebration of the creative and do-it-yourself mindset. The event will take over the entire library, and all workshops will be taught by community members and local business owners.
- Adulting 101: Jez Layman will give tips and answer questions on a variety of topics including resume writing, getting a first apartment, feeding yourself, budgeting, and more, including a demonstration of how to fold a fitted sheet!
- Arm Knitting: Learn to knit using nothing more than your two hands. A step-by-step tutorial of how to arm knit a fashionable infinity scarf. Demonstration by Jillian Wisniowicz.
- Bike Repair: Learn how to do simple bike repairs from 2 Bici Bicycle Shop.
- Carpentry Basics: Learn basic building techniques with hand tools. Demonstration by Mike Armstrong of Mike’s Wood Workings.
- Coin Appraisal: Bring in your coins and numismatist Don Amirante will give you their history and approximate value based on their probable condition.
- Container Gardening: The Darien Garden Club will demonstrate how to prepare a container garden for your home.
- Curry Powder Blending: Curry powder is a blend of spices that gives essential Indian flavor to your cuisine and is easy to make yourself. Demonstration presented by Indrani Hausner.
- Disney Travel: Staff member Heather Forster Jensen will offer Disney travel tips. There will also be a kids activity table.
- Dog Training: Learn how to teach your dog basic commands and easy tricks. Presented by Paulette Allan of Your Dog Tutor.
- Drawing and Sketching Basics: Learn drawing basics with artist Rick Ernst as he demonstrates drawing and sketching techniques.
- Food Art Garnishes: Diana Simaitis, Event and Catering Manager at Mariano’s, will teach attendees how to make flower and animal garnishes out of lunchmeats, fruits, and vegetables to decorate food platters for parties and gatherings.
- Gardening Q & A: Meet members of the Darien Garden Club, pick their brains for ideas, and ask questions.
- Lunchbox Love Notes: Send your loved ones off with a “lunchbox smile." Locker, lunchbox, and backpack notes make everyone feel loved! Presented by Amanda Frankel of Stampin’ Up!
- Makeup and Hair Tips and Tricks: Learn some of the best-kept makeup secrets from Sophia Porter, a hairstylist and makeup artist represented by Wilhelmina International.
- Marble Machines: Create a contraption to send your marble rolling through tubes and funnels, across tracks and bumpers, and into a catch at the end. Presented by IPPL Librarian Tyler Works.
- Marbled Paper Making: Staff member Heidi Estrada will demonstrate how to make marbled paper for gift wrapping, cards, stationary, and scrapbooks.
- Musical Instrument Making: Create simple shakers and merry musical noise-makers with IPPL Librarians Miss Jane and Miss Katie.
- Origami: A demonstration of the practice of Origami by folding Origami paper according to traditional patterns with Ayah Kudaimi.
- Puppet Making: Use socks and miscellaneous materials and supplies to make your own puppet with IPPL Librarian Monica Dzierzbicki.
- Rubber Stamping and Card Making: Create cards using a variety of supplies with Hannah K. Davis of Paper Moose Studio.
- Scarf Tying Demo with J.Jill: Lean how to tie scarves in a variety of fashionable ways.
- Swordplay: The Chicago Swordplay Guild will have swords, armor, gauntlets, and more. Join them for live sparring demos!
- Tabletop Roleplaying Games Intro: Get an introduction to the world of tabletop roleplaying games with Jason Peters. An exciting introductory scenario of the award-winning Dungeon World game. Find out about other games in the diverse hobby combining gameplay and storytelling.
- Tile Mosaic Creation: A live demonstration of a tile mosaic on round stone with artist Rachel Rach. Hands-on instruction.