Are you looking for a fun way to earn service hours, get job experience or make a difference in your community this summer? You should apply to be a Summer VolunTEEN.
Who can apply?
If you are entering 7-12 grade, you may apply for one or more of the VolunTEEN positions listed below.
How many hours do I need to volunteer for?
Each VolunTEEN opportunity requires a different time commitment. Please read the application carefully and consider which opportunities may be best for you.
How do I apply?
We require all volunteers to submit an application. We will post applications for Prize Week volunteers on June 24. You will be able to download the application below or stop by the library to pick one up at that time. You will need to return your completed applications to the second floor, Kids & Teens Ask Us desk. All other positions are currently filled.
How do I get a copy of my hours?
Contact Heidi Estrada at (630) 887-8760 x264 to get a copy of your timesheet(s) and/or a confirmation letter.
2017 VolunTEEN Positions:
Prize Week volunteers help children and adults for the summer reading program, hand out prizes, and may help with other projects in the library as needed. Volunteers should plan on working at the library for at least two 3-hour shifts during prize week. Registration VolunTEENs must be able to commit to a minimum of 8 hours between July 30 to August 5. A mandatory orientation will take place on Sunday, July 30 from 2:00 - 4:00 p.m. If you are unable to make this commitment, please consider a different volunteer opportunity.
Garden Lab Assistants (Filled)
Garden Lab Assistants partner with students in grades 1-6 to take care of the IPPL community garden patches and complete related science, math, and art activities. Garden Lab Assistants must be able to commit to a minimum of 7 hours throughout the summer. If you are unable to make this commitment, please consider a different volunteer opportunity.
Coding Lab Assistants (Filled)
Coding Lab Assistants will help students in grades 1-6 explore the fundaments of coding and robotics. Coding Lab Assistants must commit to a minimum of 10 hours throughout the summer. If you are unable to make this commitment, please consider a different volunteer opportunity.
Camp Counselors (Filled)
Camp Counselors assist kids in grades 1-8 with different activities related to our weekly camp themes: design, math, chess, rockets, science, engineering, and writing. Camp Counselors must commit to helping for a full week of camp. If you are unable to make this commitment, please consider a different volunteer opportunity.
Book Buddies (Filled)
Book Buddies provide guided reading and listen to students read to help them become better at reading aloud. Book Buddies must be able to commit to a minimum of 8 hours throughout the summer. If you are unable to make this commitment, please consider a different volunteer opportunity.
Benefits of the VolunTEEN program:
- It's fun!
- If you complete your committed service time, you will receive a VIP invitation to the end of summer Gaming Lock-In.
- Your work serves people of all ages and is a valuable contribution to the community.
- You may fulfill service hours for school, confirmation, honor society and other organizations.
- You are eligible to receive letters of recommendation for job references, honor society, as well as school and community awards.
- Qualify for community service scholarships.
- You are gaining valuable job experience if you do your job properly. You have the opportunity to demonstrate good attendance, dependability, creativity and interpersonal skills while you work with us.
Additional Information about the VolunTEEN program:
- Book Buddies, Lab Assistants, and Camp Cousnelor assignments will be confirmed by the VolunTEEN coordinators via phone.
- Due to the limited number of positions available for certain jobs, you may be asked to choose an alternate position if your first choice has filled.
- VolunTEENs may work only the hours assigned to them.
- All requests for written recommendations or confirmation of hours completed will require one week to process.