Whether you’re looking to start, manage, or grow a local business, we have the tools to help you achieve your business goals. We can help you plan your dream
Doing smart research is a great way to gain insight into your community’s demand for your product or service. You can pinpoint where to focus your marketing efforts, and to whom. You may find the following resources helpful:
- Blue Book Marketing Research: From the Marketing Research Association. Includes descriptions of fee-based marketing research companies, services, and facilities.
- Census Business Builder: Small Business Edition contains key data for business plans or to better understand potential markets. It presents data for a single type of business and geography at a time.
- Congressional Research Service (CRS) Reports: Newly available to the public, information produced by the CRS for the United States Congress. Continually updated to provide timely, objective, and authoritative research and analysis to committees and Members of both the House and Senate. Use appropriate keywords, such as “small business” to begin.
- QuickFacts: Get the latest statistics from the U.S. Census Bureau about the community where you live and do business.
- ReferenceUSA : A directory of over 25 million US and Canadian businesses and 89 million residential phone numbers. Explore consumer and lifestyle data. Create marketing lists. IPPL card needed
- Small Business Administration State Profiles : https://www.sba.gov/sites/default/files/advocacy/2018-Small-Business-Profiles-IL.pdf
- Gather detailed information on small business at the state level, including demographics of owners, small business income, business turnover, and employment gains and losses by size of business.
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Labor market activity, working conditions, and price changes in the economy.
Get a business library card
If you are a business owner in the Indian Prairie Public Library District, you can obtain a business library card (getacard.ippl.info.) You card is key to all the resources we offer our business community, including access to all of the online resources offered by the library available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from your home computer or tablet. Use our business resources Learn more about databases to give you access to demographic, learning, and financial information; tools you can use at the library including printers, copiers, fax machines, and computers; checkout the latest technology to assist you in planning for your business from our tech takeout collection; use our wide variety of magazines and newspapers, and take classes just for business owners.
Book a room and conduct your business here
We are conveniently located minutes from I-55, and the perfect place to meet business associates. Or, if you just need a quiet place work, we have you covered. Book a room here.
Sign up for our enewsletter
Sign up for our enewsletter specifically geared toward businesses. Get information on upcoming programs, new books, business resources, and other updates delivered to your inbox 6-8 times a year.
Discover how we can help
Resources to Start Your Business
We have an extensive list of databases that you can access with your IPPL card. Learn more here.
Local Partners Learn more about starting your business with our local business partners.
Darien Chamber of Commerce https://www.darien.il.us/Business.aspx
Willowbrook/Burr Ridge Chamber of Commerce http://www.burr-ridge.gov/edc-video/
Illinois Small Business Development Center at College of DuPage https://www.cod.edu/sbdc
Small Business Administration Illinois Office https://www.sba.gov/offices/district/il/chicago
Fox Valley SCORE http://www.score.foxvalley.org
Starting Your Business
Small Business Association Guide: https://www.sba.gov/business-guide
Starting a Business in Illinois: https://www2.illinois.gov/dceo/SmallBizAssistance/BeginHere/Pages/StepByStepGuide.aspx
Planning Your Dream
ReferenceUSA - A directory of over 25 million US and Canadian businesses and 89 million residential phone numbers. Explore consumer and lifestyle data. Create marketing lists. IPPL card needed
Write Your Business Plan
Business Plans and Finance Templates from SBA’s SCORE
How to Write a Business Plan from the Small Business Administration
Market Research, Demographic, & Analysis Tools
Blue Book Marketing Research
Census Business Builder
Congressional Research Service (CRS) Reports
Use appropriate keywords, such as “small business” to begin.
Small Business Administration State Profiles
U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Your business may be eligible for seed money grants and banks make loans available for small businesses. Check these sources.
Loans and Grants info from the SBA
Illinois Community Development Assistance Program (CDAP)
Grants from the Federal Government
Business Owner’s Toolkit – Getting Financing for Your Business
Business Owner’s Toolkit – Loans from Banks Export assistance for US Businesses
Naming Your Business
Choosing a name is part of the registration process. Use the naming sources below to choose an original name (and avoid trademark violation).
Advice on Naming Your Business
Corporate Name Database
Illinois Secretary of State
Small Business Association Register a Business Name
United States Patent and Trademark Office
Business Registration Application Forms
In order to operate your business, you’ll need to register with the state. Links to printable applications are below.
Illinois Business Registration Application
City of Darien Business License
Village of Burr Ridge Village of Willowbrook
Taxes and the IRS
To pay taxes on your business, you’ll need to file with the IRS. The IRS also provides a wealth of online resources for small business tax help.
Business Owner’s Toolkit: Choosing a Form of Organization
EIN Application Form
Employer’s Tax Guide
Tax Guide for Small Businesses
Self-Employment Tax Center
Hiring and Employees
Hiring Employees: Illinois Dept. of Employment Security
News from Illinois Department of Labor
Procedures & News Illinois Department of Insurance
U.S. Small Business Association Hiring & Managing Guide
Your Intellectual Property
U.S. Patents & Trademarks Office
For US Businesses export.gov:
Thomas Register of American