AARP Tax-Aide at the Library
- Have an appointment? Download and complete the required intake form (PDF).
- Free service to taxpayers with middle and low incomes is available in the library from mid-February through mid-April.
- Trained volunteers will prepare and file state and federal tax returns.
- Appointments take place on Monday and Friday mornings.
- Starting February 1, 2019, call the Adult Services Desk at 630/887-0637 to make an appointment.
- If you need to make an appointment for a different day of the week, try one of the other AARP tax preparation sites.
Other Tax Preparation Assistance
- Get your state and federal tax returns electronically prepared free of charge by student volunteers under the supervision of COD instructors.
- Schedule an appointment.
- View more information.
Each year, the library distributes tax forms sent to us by the federal government and the state of Illinois. To order paper copies of Federal forms and booklets, call 800/829-3676 or order paper copies online. For state forms and booklets, call 1-800-356-6302 or order paper copies online.
New for the 2018 tax filing season is that everyone fills out a Federal 1040 - there are no longer 1040A and 1040EZ forms. The library has received a shipment of Federal 1040 forms and instructions. The forms are in a booklet and include the new 1040 as well as new Schedules 1 through 6. The instruction booklet includes instructions for the 1040 form and Schedules 1 through 6. If you need any other forms or instructions, please ask for help at the 1st Floor Ask Us Desk.
We have been informed by the State of Illinois that state forms will not be ready until January 28, 2019. The library does not know when it will receive a shipment of state forms.
Forms and Publications Online
Prepare and file your federal tax return for free using tax preparation and filing software.
All Illinois tax filers can file for free at MyTax Illinois.
Federal - 800/829-1040
- Individual Returns
- Teletax Information Line, Refund Status, and Recorded Information
- Business Returns
- Forms and Publications
State - 800/732-8866
- Illinois Tax Returns (Monday - Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.)
- Forms and Publications
Local - 630/493-5291
The IRS Local Office is no longer assisting those who walk-in. You must call the office ahead of time and make an appointment to receive assistance.
IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center
2001 Butterfield Road (Mega Site/Esplanade Building, 12th Floor)
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. (closed on federal holidays)